Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fall Mantel (and a tip for scaring your mailman)



If you've been with me, you'll remember I built our fireplace mantel just before Christmas last year.  And when I say "just before", I really mean it.  I was practically touching up paint and wrapping presents at the same time.



See?

Once I built the mirror to go above it not long after, it kinda just sat like that up until this past weekend.


Certainly nothing wrong with it.  I prefer the clean, stark lines for sure.  However, not that most of the BIG renovations are wrapping up, it feels really, really good to putter and decorate and tweak things.  I haven't had a chance to fuss over little details for almost a year.  I've been too busy laying flooring or trimming out rooms or tiling showers or, or, or....

I hit up a local greenhouse/farm stand and scooped up a few gourds and pulled out my awesome black crows.



No, not those Black Crowes.

I'm talking about this little guy:


How great is he, right?  I think I paid a dollar for him at a Dollarama.  Totally worth every penny for his cool, aloof presence all up in my mantel.


The candles were an awesome find in a Target clearance aisle a million years ago.  They're battery-operated with timers and have a lovely, low glow at night.  I think I paid about four bucks for each of them.  Not bad considering a single, similar candle at Pottery Barn goes for $29.50.  Come on now...



The creamy, white gourds (are they really just mini pumpkins?), white beans and candles contrast perfectly against the dark wood of the mirror and our little feathered friend.  I also scored some free succulents at that same greenhouse and teamed them up with a simple, white pot.



<Insert attempt at dynamic photography here>


Nailed it.

Now, let me get back to that crow for a minute.


He seems harmless enough, right?  Well, he has a bigger, badder brother.

<Insert dramatic high-contrast photo editing here>


In an attempt to Halloween-ify the front porch, I stuck his big brother in my oh-so-sad boxwood next to my front door.  I had intentions of getting some sparkly bats or spiders added to the wreath on the front door, but, somehow I got sidetracked (shiny things!) and my outdoor decorating stopped after I put the crow in the boxwood.  


I had completely forgotten about it and was doing the dishes in the kitchen when I noticed the mailman come to a dead stop before he got to my porch.  His entire body was motionless, except for his legs.  He crept up to the mailbox (also next to the front door), and extended his arm just enough to quietly and carefully slip the mail into the box.  He stepped gently off of the step with his eyes fixed on something and backed slowly away.  The entire time, I'm standing there, water running and dish-in-hand, confused.

And then it hit me.












You guys, he thought it was real.  He thought it was a real crow.  It must have been the absence of anything else even remotely resembling Halloween decorations.  Just this lone, menacing bird staring him down.

Since then, he has scared 100% of the visitors on my porch.  Including my husband and children.

He's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.